Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Swann's Way or the Highway


First they built the road and then the town – that’s why were still driving around and around.


Are you through pretending?


But what’s stranger still is how something so small can keep you alive. – Arcade Fire


Today is the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War. It’s also the 50th anniversary of the first human flight into space. By the Soviets. All of this got me to thinking about the past and its mythology. The past is a creation. What remains there? Have you forgotten about the time you had the affair? I didn’t. Remember when I hit you. I’m sure you do. Did you forget about war and genocide? Did her death make it any easier? The past is something invented by my mother so she doesn’t have to think about it. We need to believe things are in the past because sometimes it’s hard to compartmentalize. It’s hard to keep it all in order. And it’s hard to admit. How do I tell you that what I did last night has more to do with what happened in the past then anything else? And will you believe me? And will you care? Am I exposed?


The Remembrance of Things Past is the Present and Proust could afford to be present because of his wealth. Boredom is GOD.


Things I want today: A mushroom brush shaped like a mushroom.


To be cool like Eldridge Cleaver


To see Paula Dean fuck Rachel Ray with a stick of butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment