Monday, November 21, 2011

Now Listen...


Okay, It's a rough morning for Crystal. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it's been a week since the sweet nectar of beer, wine, liquor, rubbing alcohol has crossed her lips. Maybe it's because she went to bed after watching 'Hunger' by Mr. Steve McQueen - the black one - and started hating England and the Queen and Margaret Thatcher even more. Maybe it's just because Paco has replaced Pierre as the bed cat and sleeps with David and not me. Maybe it's because today, ugh, I have to go to Brooklyn. WHo knows.

But I woke up, frothed my almond milk, poured myself some cafe from my French press and read this: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/of-course-its-cruel-and-unusual/ and just thought... Really?

Now you know the only thing I like to kill are fetuses and the occasional pig to keep me in bacon but the fact that this Justin E.H. Smith (are too initials really necessary? Is this to prove your Catholicism via your confirmation name?) says this: In the current American context, however, the turkey pardon is a distasteful parody of the strange power vested in politicians to decide the earthly fates of death-row prisoners. is sort of annoying.

How about the death penalty itself is a distasteful parody of the strange power vested in politicians to decide the earthly fates of death-row prisoners?

Of course the death penalty is wrong and evil and racist and classist. But to say that 'pardoning' the turkey is equivalent to dangling a noose in front of a death-row inmate is dumb to me.

Mr. Smith goes on to make many great points, so please read this article, but to use the turkey pardon as a jumping point feels like dumbing down the argument and yes we believe in anti-intellectual populism, hell! I'm beginning to think that Crystal herself invented it but I'm going to eat my turkey with aplomb this year, pinky in the air, all the while still thinking of my brothers on death row. Also, on the radio I'm hearing that inmates in New York are preparing turkeys for non-profits, soup kitchens, etc. Doesn't this seem odd? Shouldn't we be preparing turkeys for them?

The Interlopere: Crystal Bridges says pull that wishbone hard and wish for the good wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment